Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Finding Default Information

RateLadder has been collecting default sale information from various lenders (pensioner and L5 come to mind) to get a picture of the default recovery for lenders. This is a bit labor intensive and requires the cooperation of other lenders. I've recently spotted a quicker way to collect default statistics.

The Prosper Marketplace Performance page provides all the necessary information. After doing a search, look under Performance Data at Defaults (D) and Net Defaults (ND).

The amount recovered for the lender after fees is (D - ND). To calculate the recovered percentage, use (D-ND)/D. I've pulled a few of the favorites just for fun (I'm odd like that), but I didn't have the patience to do a cross-correlation with auto funding.

Criteria
AA
A
B
C
D
E
HR
All
14.2%
19.9%
15.8%
19.2%
11.5%
9.9%
8.5%
Homeowners
n/a
19.9%
22.8%
21.2%
19.7%
18.7%
21.7%
Non Homeowners
14.2%
19.9%
12.1%
14.7%
8.5%
7.2%
6.7%
The AA grade is slanted because there's only 1 loan that's gone through a default sale. The A grade is just a freaky coincidence (and an implication that home ownership doesn't matter here). I know this much - if I dared mess with E and HR loans, I'd rate home ownership pretty highly.

No comments: